1.09.2010

The Springs 2, Street 3, Villa 12

One week. One week has passed since I arrived in Dubai. It's amazing to me because I feel as though I have been here for so much longer. In one week I have learned so much, seen so much, and taken in more new stimuli than I could have imagined. While the jet lag fades, my mind still works. Processing each smell, each word, each accent, each sight, each day as if it's the first I've ever experienced. And that, my friends, is EXHAUSTING!

I arrived in Dubai Friday January 1st around midnight, but did not find myself at Carla's home until well after 1am. Because of the excitement, and the time change, I stayed up and unpacked and showered. I slept most of the day Saturday, and spent the rest of the day unpacking, talking to the kids, and just relaxing. On Sunday, Carla had a "professional day" at the school she works at, but the kids did not have school, so they walked me around the compound.

My first week consisted of spending every day in AJ's school with him. Essentially what I will be spending the majority of my time here doing is "shadowing" for AJ. AJ is 10, and is a clever boy who is fun loving and dedicated to his school work. However, he struggles with some of his academics. My job as a "shadow" is to follow him around school and work with him (in the context of his classes) or work with groups of students that include him as he gains the skills to complete his work. This week I focused on meeting his teachers and classmates so I can understand the context that he is working in. I have also been working hard to build a relationship with him. We have been getting along fine and I can already see a change as he warms up to me. Below is a photo of AJ's classroom.

I also work with his sister Marya, but not as closely. Mostly I help her to keep organized and stay on top of her school work. She is also a dedicated student and they both are very motivated to accomplish the tasks at hand and do well. This has made a huge difference in working with them.

In the time spent at home I hang out with the family, and am grateful to be living with former Glen Lakers. The kids have shown me around the compound and I have done some wandering on my own. We live in an area called "The Springs" which is part of a larger compound called "Emirates Hills." When I first started wandering around I made sure to ask Carla what to tell someone if I get lost and need help finding my way. In essence, everything looks the same! Dubai is developing insanely fast, and it is faster, more efficient, and less expensive to build communities that are identical. So my mantra.."the springs 2, street 3, villa 12." Below are two separate fake lakes with in the compound. I think I know where I'll be running for the next 6 months.

I think I'm fairly well adjusted to the time change, but I am constantly taking in new information and sights. Soon I will be driving, and that will be an adventure as the driving is fast and insane here.

This weekend we celebrated AJ's 10th birthday! He will have a party with friends next week, but his birthday was Saturday. We had cake and ice cream and went to the beach to fly is new kite.
This is the Burj Al Arab, a hotel.


culture shock:
  • the other day we passed a large walled in area that was quite ostentatious. I asked Carla, "what's in there?" She replied, "a house." I said, "just ONE person's HOUSE!?" She responded, "well, there are probably four or five houses for his WIVES."

  • I can already speak and write some Arabic. A young girl named Yara, in AJs class, has been teaching me during recess. She would rather stay in and get ahead in her work, so I've been employing her as my private Arabic tutor. YAY!
on the left is Yara, and on the right Awatif.


  • when I get up i can hear the Islamic Fajr (pre-dawn) prayer call from the Mosque down the street. It's quite peaceful.




1 comment:

rwk87 said...

Wow, that's so cool! I love your pictures, too. Glad to hear everything is going well and that you're enjoying your time there so far.

--Ross