10.31.2007

Surfer's Paradise and Currumbin, QLD, Australia

This weekend was good. I took some time to myself and was refreshed. I also had some fun!

Friday night I went out with a friend to a bar in Surfer's Paradise called "minus 5". It's one of 6 in the world. (all in Australia and New Zealand.) Everything in the bar is made of ice. From the glasses to the furniture! It's phenomenal! An art form, really. You can order only Absolut Vodka drinks, because Absolut is a sponsor, and because the Vodka won't freeze. They keep the juice and other non-vodka ingredients in a cooler, which ironically acts as a heat insulator, keeping them from freezing. You are given booties, two pair of gloves, and a parka on arrival and are allowed to stay in for only 30 minutes. It was the essence of a Michigan winter, and a fun experience!!


Saturday, my roommate and I took a bus to Currumbin Beach and rented surfboards from a man in a van! We spent the day surfing and hanging out on the beach, and walking over to Elephant rock. It was sunny and beautiful! Despite my efforts to apply and re-apply sunscreen all day, I got a little bit sunburnt, but not bad, and my first one in the "Sunburnt Country!"



Sunday, after church, my friend Jennifer and I went to my favorite restaurant in Australia, "Pancakes in Paradise." Under challenge from a guy friend we set out to eat 6 pancakes each. The record there is one 19 year old girl who ate 24 pancakes in an hour! We ordered the all you can eat special and got to work. It took us two hours (we did play with our food a bit) to finish our six pancakes each, but we did it, and we felt miserably full for it!! It was a days adventure none the less!!!!

1 comment:

Theresa said...

I see you're getting started already on your alternative career:)